Looking for a delicious kourambiethes recipe? We’ve got you covered with one that will add a bit of Greek flair to your Holiday baking.
Kourambiethesare Greek Christmas cookies and are enjoyed by many Greeks during the Christmas holidays. You can find these delicious holiday treats in most Greek homes, and luckily for you, they’re fairly easy to make.
Like adding a traditional flair to your holiday baking? Or maybe you just crave the taste of home over the holidays? Here’s our recipe for Kourambiethes Greek Christmas cookies!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon brandy (can substitute with orange juice)
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350F & line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place butter in a bowl and whip until light & fluffy, (10-15 minutes).*
- Add egg yolk and blend with whipped butter.
- Add in ¼ cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and brandy. Mix well.
- Add flour and mix until dough is soft. Use more flour as needed.
- Form dough into small balls (or whatever size you like).
- Pinch centre of dough ball to flatten a bit, and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until bottoms of cookies are golden brown.**
- While the kourambiethes are baking, cover serving plates with powdered sugar.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Place kourambiethes on serving plates.
- Sprinkle remaining powdered sugar over them – the more the better!
Traditionally, almonds are added to this recipe either by placing one within each cookie (rolling the dough around the almond so it’s inside), or using almond flour (see comments below). We prefer them without almonds, so adjust accordingly.
*Make sure to really whip the butter. This is an important step!
**The cookies themselves won’t turn golden brown.
We’re sure you’ll enjoy making these delicious cookies with our easy recipe. Bringing a bit of Greece to your holiday tradition with our fantastic kourambiethes recipe might even become your new tradition!
If you’re planning on visiting Athens, or simply get inspired to travel, click aqui to find tons of helpful tips and tricks. For all the latest news at Famous Hostels, follow us or subscribe on Instagram, Facebook, and Youtube.